Max Johnson, North Border, 10 points, 10 rebounds vs. Kittson Co. Central
Mike Smith, North Border, 32 points, 16 rebounds vs. Valley-Edinburg
North Border's Cooter Symington recorded the 200th win of his basketball coaching career Saturday when the Eagles beat Kittson County Central. Symington, in his 13th season as a head coach, has a 200-88 record.Jan 29thGirls BasketballNorth Border
11 18 18 9 56Drayton-St. Thomas
6 8 9 19 42North Border
- Megan Mcgauvran 9, Brandi Lorz 10, Jessie Helland 7, Danika Carpenter 3, Emily Stremick 18, Morgan Beattie 1, Mattie Bjornstad 6, Larissa Reck 2Drayton-St. Thomas
- Paige Thompson 8, Tara Larsen 2, Emily Schuster 4, Kallie Lunde 7, Allison McMartin 8, Jordan Rudnick 8, Erica Kennelly 5N.D. Class B Boys Basketball Poll
1. Watford City (11) 15-0 119 1;
2. LaMoure (1) 13-0 108 2;3. North Border 13-0 96 3;
4. Bishop Ryan 11-1 80 4;
5. Lisbon 11-1 68 5;
6. Hankinson 11-1 56 7;
7. Turtle Lake-Mercer 13-1 42 NR;
8. Richland 11-1 36 9;
9. Grafton 11-2 15 NR;
10. Richardton-Taylor 11-2 10 6
Others receiving votes: Munich-Starkweather (11-2), St. John (10-2), Linton (9-3), Four Winds (9-3), Dunseith (10-3), Hazen (8-3), Mott-Regent (10-3), Steele-Dawson (11-2)Jan 27th - QA with Mike Smith, by the Grand Fork Hearld
Mike Smith, a junior for the North Border boys basketball team, combines a 6-foot-4 frame and outstanding leaping ability to be one of the top post players in North Dakota Region 2 basketball.
On Saturday afternoon, he's scheduled to compete in the slam dunk contest at the annual South Forks Lions Shootout at Grand Forks Central High School. Smith is no stranger to the contest, as he's participated in it each of the past three seasons.
Q: What's it like being on the court performing in a dunk contest?
MS: You feel like all the people are looking at you. It's kind of fun, having the spotlight on you. Sometimes you get a little nervous. But it gets the adrenaline going.
Q: Do you practice dunks?
MS: Me and my teammates, Tanner Carpenter and Dustyn Chale, will mess around with it sometimes after practices. They'll throw lobs to me and I try different stuff.
Q: What's your favorite dunk?
MS: My favorite is to just tomahawk it, to throw it down as hard as I can. Or I'll have somebody alley-oop the ball off the backboard and I'll go up and get it. I'll try reverses, but I'm not very good at those.
Q: You were an eighth-grader the first time you were in the Shootout dunking contest. How did that happen?
MS: I was sitting in the stands, watching my brother play, and Cooter (Symington, North Border's coach) asked if I wanted to do it. I was nervous because I was so much younger than the other guys in it. I made one but no others.
Q: You dunk in practices and in the contest. Have you put one down in a game?
MS: I had one (Thursday) against Valley-Edinburg. I stole the ball and dribbled down on the break. I got up pretty high, cocked my arm back a little and threw it down hard. It was one of my better ones. I think my last one in a game before that was when I was an eighth-grader. (A dunk) just happens; it's nothing you can plan out. But I think it really pumps everybody up and gets some momentum going for the team.Jan 26thBoys BasketballKittson Co. Central
(Hallock MN) 7 9 12 19 47North Border
21 10 17 9 57Kittson Co. Central
- James Hauert 7, Dustin Dalbey 8, Trevor Austin 8, Dylan Bowman 2, Cody Johnson 8, Steven Johnson 2, Jeremy Hauert 4, Jordan Forfang 8North Border
- Mike Smith 3, Josh Keller 5, Max Johnson 10, Dustyn Chale 16, Tanner Carpenter 23WrestlingLarimore Invitational tournament
Velva-Garrison 248, GF Red River 189, GF Central 176, Cavalier 136½, Devils Lake 119, Larimore 86, North Border 77
, Mayville-Portland-Clifford-Galesburg 53, Fargo South JV 53, Velva-Garrison 2 34½, Grafton 14, Velva-Garrison 3 13Top placers
145 - 1. Paul Ericson, RR; 2. Jason Berg, DL; 3. Colton Gapp, NB;
4. Dominic Capp, Lar
152 - 1. Sean Ballard, DL; 2. Collin Kittleson, VG; 3. Alex Broderson, RR; 4. Travis Bjornstad, NB
171 - 1. Alex Cull, Cav; 2. Ethan Mattingley, VG; 3. Philip Chaput, NB
; 4. Calvin Lyght, VG
215 - 1. Mike Gavere, GFC; 2. Garth Berg, Cav; 3. Ryan Ekstrom, VG; 4. Tyler Lafferty, NB
285 - 1. Troy Jespersen, VG; 2. Tallon Early, MPCG; 3. Jade Sime, GFC; 4. Dustin Rauser, NBJan 24thBoys BasketballNorth Border
29 19 19 11 78Valley-Edinburg
10 8 7 9 34North Border
- Tyson Taylor 1, Mike Smith 32, Josh Keller 2, Jordan Thornberg 1, Max Johnson 3, Dustyn Chale 14, Tanner Carpenter 20, Jayden Rollness 2, Jared Lorz 2, Landon Rude 1Valley-Edinburg
- Nick Althoff 12, Hayden Sunderland 3, Robert Copeland 2, Thomas Shepard 7, Colton Evenson 10WrestlingNORTH BORDER 60,
103 - Kyle Brown, NB, over Tony Horter 1:17;
112 - Brett Schurman, NB, over Tom Bair 2:42;
130 - Albert Hornung, NB, over Michael Finn 1:55;
140 - Oliver Longtine, NB, over Derrick Parsons :36;
145 - Dominic Capp, L, over Colton Gapp 4-1;
160 - Brett Johnson, L, over TJ Sott 4:51;
171 - Philip Chaput, NB, over Adam Sletten 5:52;
189 - Ricky Symons, L, over Colton Anderson 5:05;
215 - Tyler Lafferty, NB, over Brady Habeck 3:11;
285 - Dustin Rauser, NB, over Joseph Lang 1:24.
Wins by forfeit: NB 3